Beginning of policies of Southern border provinces administration
Every Royal Thai Government priorities of development of south border provinces due to the geography in terms of distance far away to central administration. Moreover, the background of cultures has similar with Malaysia in social, religious and identity that quite unique. The scenario of unrest, the problems that delicate and complex especially a misunderstanding and distrust in the relationship of government officer and civil.
With these reasons, Royal Thai Government imposed the policy of solving problem in south border provinces which in the past, was aimed of solving problems specific issue. Later on, in 1978, Thai Government had consideration of solving problem in stability of south provinces area with covering all aspects and same direction.
National security policy related with south border provinces issue no.1 (1978 - 1997)
Cabinet has been approved on 24 January 1978 which is the first issue that covering all aspects in solving problem and aimed to create coordinates between government agencies. The objective is to establish peace, harmony and understanding with Muslim Countries. Furthermore, National security policy related with south border provinces is a beginning of establishing Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre in 1982 which convert all the policies into action.
The beginning of SBPAC: Public trust to people until the present.
The south province areas include Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Satul and Songkhla have experiencing in security issues that impact to national security and peace and harmony of people. Those problems have specific and different comparing with other area in Thailand. The Royal Thai Government has closely focused and imposed the national security policy especially in southern border area. The scopes cover the operation of political, military, economic and sociology. On 16 December 1980 the cabinet has approve to revise the management and improve the performance of government officers and development the economic in area. General Prem Tinsulanonda, the Prime Minister has ordered issued no. 8/1982 dated 20 January 1982, topic “The solving problems of government administration in south border provinces” within the frame and authorities of SBPAC.
The establishment and missions of SBPAC.
The Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC) is an agencies of local government which Thai Government has assigned to Ministry of Interior set up since 1982 by development from the existing of center to coordinate of southern border provinces administration. The mission of SBPAC is to coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the objective of National Security through southern border area. Emphasize on sociology, politics, administration, development of government officer’s performance and economic, create the same understanding and give cooperation of local area with neighborhood countries.
SBPAC: From the past until the present.
The development of SBPAC is the one of urgent policy established with special mechanism. SBPAC has mission to drive policy into practice and has the development as following:
- In 1981, Statement of the Prime Minister 8/2524 dated 24 January 1981 SBPAC has responsibility in development and stability which belong to the commander 4.
- In 1996, Statement of the Prime Minister 56/2539 dated 24 January 1981 belong to the Prime Minister.
- In 2002, Statement of the Prime Minister 69/2547 dated 24 March 2002 established Division of Southern Border Provinces Peace Building and belong to the Prime Minister.
- In 2004, reintroduce SBPAC from the Statement of the Prime Minister 207/2549 dated 30 October 2004 under the Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC)
- In 2006, SBPAC is the agency under ISOC
SBPAC at the present.
The development and conflict resolution of the southern border provinces by Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre or SBPAC accordance to the Royal Guidelines of “Understand, Reach Out and Develop” and “Philosophy of Sufficient Economy” as well as the driven policies set forth by Royal Thai Government. The operations focused on the unity of security and development works while built people and private sectors’ participations to pursue the civil state approach. Development works will support security works which make people satisfy more and cooperate with government officers.
Mission and Vision
(1) Manipulate the strategies of development of Southern Border Provinces related with policies and development southern border provinces administration.
(2) Manipulate the objectives plan to actuate related with strategies of development of Southern Border Provinces.
(3) Recommended and integrated plans and projects belong to ministries, department and other agencies.
(4) Continuing the projects and plans that government cannot implemented.
(5) Working co-operatively with other agencies, both civilian and military to ensure that people take part and participate in the matter of administration of south border provinces
(6) Protects the rights, liberties, and property of People. Giving complaint assistance and coordinate with the other government agencies as well as monitor and troubleshoot the improper from the government officer.
(7) To assist and remedy those who have been affected from the improper of government officer.
(8) Suggested and create moral-building through government officers in the southern border area.
(9) Recommend or advice to government agencies about the nature of areas as well as develop the performance of officer efficiency and effectively. Work with harmony and compromise with south border people’s life.
(10) To promote the participation of people from all sectors in southern border conflict resolution.
(11) To promote and facilitate solutions to the people of Thailand regarding performing Haj at Saudi Arabia.
(12) To promote and support the education in the southern border provinces.
(13) Promote and implement the policy of the SBPAC and government, including local culture, local wisdoms and create a better understanding of the people, both in Thailand and Foreign countries.
(14) Collaborate with relevant government agencies to strengthen the relationship. Create better understanding in terms of plans, policy, projects and works under the cabinet of Royal Thai Government. Follow the guidelines and policies that stated by Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(15) To promote the concept of multicultural as an important of national culture. Eliminate the discrimination of monopoly choice whereas it is unfair to the people but it is not contrary to the provisions of the constitution of law.